Immolation Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A MLP-inspired Unity game.

HomePortalMeet the Mod TeamLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

General Immolation information

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
neveda0

neveda0

General Immolation information Empty
PostSubject: General Immolation information   General Immolation information I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 4:07 am

So, I was noticing that there is surprisingly little information that I can track down about your game. I can know that it is a stealth based (because quadrupeds have issues wielding weapons) steampunk puzzle oriented game in the first person perspective, but could you clarify how those ideas interact? It seems pretty awesome, but very difficult to execute, so I would like to hear your thoughts on this.
Any information will be greatly appreciated, kind sir.
Back to top Go down
piedoom
Admin
piedoom

PostSubject: Re: General Immolation information   General Immolation information I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 3:13 pm

I'll try to answer everything the best I can. The reason you won't be able to find much information on the game is we're fairly new, and most ideas here are posted in around restricted boards.
As for gameplay and such, think of Half-Life and Amnesia: The Dark Descent - sorts of like a stealth based puzzle FPS. What I'm really hoping to accomplish once the characters are all set out are light intelligence, e.g. a character has less chance of being seen in a darker place. Of course, everything is dependent on the availability and skill of the coders.
Anyway, I haven't been releasing much information on the whereabouts and storyline, but I'll let you have a bit of information.
The envorinments are going to be based in a far future world of Ponyville. (It sounds so much less epic when I say Ponyville... but) E.G. The government building is going to look like the Canterlot Castle.
As for technical things, I'm playing around with a few ideas. Since quadrupeds use all four legs to walk, I'm going to have to invent some new ideas on how to weild things like weapons. What I've been thinking will be the best way is to have the weapon wrap around the ankle of the character, or be mounted on the back. Both ways of weilding weapons raise issues that are rather hard to explain over text, but I'm sure everything will work out.
Right now, I'm busy creating map geometry and props, and doing a ton of publicity acts while adding a couple members to the team. We already have quite a neat storyline going.
In stories, I've always hated when there is a definitive good and bad side; life isn't like that- people are given a set of two contrasting ideas, and they make a decision on what is good and what is not based on their morals and past expirences. This is what I hope to accomplish with the game plot. It's extremely morally grey. The "hero" is actually quite a flawed character, and the "antagonists" could be viewed as though they are in the right. I want players to argue about which side was actually right.
Bear with me, I know I've been a bit erratic in explaining ideas. Is there anything else you would like to know?
Back to top Go down
https://immolation.forumotion.com
neveda0

neveda0

PostSubject: Re: General Immolation information   General Immolation information I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 4:45 pm

Thank you very much sir, this has been quite enlightening. I love what you have to say about a good side bad side. I have been pushing to eliminate that in all fiction I have a hand in creating, and it usually results in a very gritty experience. That's good stuff. Normally I'd offer some bit of advice or aid, but you either seem to have things under control for elements that my skillset extends to.
Did you ever play the Thief series by Eidos? Light, visibility and the manipulation of both were central elements to the game, and I believe it runs off the Unreal engine. You may be able to find some of the light logic code you need amongst the Thief modding community. I believe that the first Deus Ex game had similar elements.
I would like to know as much about this project as you are willing to tell me, but at this point I am most interested in the worldbuilding and story.
You have some good ideas here, keep it up sir!
Back to top Go down
piedoom
Admin
piedoom

PostSubject: Re: General Immolation information   General Immolation information I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 5:55 pm

I haven't played the games, but it does say from scanning through the wiki page that Theif: The Deadly Shadows was powered by unreal-engine based Dues Ex. I'm sure now that I can find some coding for it, thanks for the heads up!
As for world building, I'm fairly new to the aspect of modding with the Unreal Engine. I've clocked more than 1500 hours in Valve's Source SDK, and started this project as a way to learn UDK and get some experiences leading a team. I'm not sure if you've stumbled across the ModDB page http://www.moddb.com/games/immolation here, but I have a small bit of models and such. I don't plan to make this whole game gritty though, just realistic with more vivid colours and some skewed proportions.
As for story, I'll be writing up a report of that in our next news post to EquestriaGaming, so we'll have to wait until then :3
Also if you know anyone skilled in the ways of game development, make sure to send them my way, hehe.
Back to top Go down
neveda0

neveda0

PostSubject: Re: General Immolation information   General Immolation information I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 8:43 pm

I suppose I should clarify:
When I say world building, I don't mean modeling and level building (which is interesting in it's own right), I mean the process of creating a believable setting. But if that is something you are going to release with the story, then I can wait.

Also, I would highly recommend playing any of the three Thief games (the gameplay hasn't changed much between them, only the story and graphics), and the first Deus Ex game. Not only are both of these some of my favorite games, but they also have large similarities with the one you are trying to create. Thief is a stealth fantasy steampunk FPS (first person 'sneaker' they called it) with a very distopian setting and clever level design. Deus Ex is based completely modern conspiracy theories. Deus Ex has a similar (but simpler) stealth system, a puzzle and task completion oriented gameplay style (with lots of shooting or sneaking depending on how you choose to play). Each level in each game also has many different ways to complete it, which made the game interesting.

I don't know how much you can actually draw from these games, but I feel that they may be helpful.
Back to top Go down
piedoom
Admin
piedoom

PostSubject: Re: General Immolation information   General Immolation information I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 12:03 am

Well, not really sure - I have a good concept artist who is drawing me out some 'scapes to model and texture off of. UDK really takes care of the realism factor itself- perhaps I'm missing something?
Back to top Go down
neveda0

neveda0

PostSubject: Re: General Immolation information   General Immolation information I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 1:31 am

Yeah, you are. But it's fine. Not many people are familiar with the specifics of what I mean by worldbuilding.
Basically I don't mean visually or technically.
What I mean is the details about the culture, the people, the history, the geography if you want to go that deep. Every work of fiction has a world that it was built to exist in. I want to know more about the one for your game. Now, I know that you aren't releasing story details at this time but I don't know if you are considering this as a story detail.
Does that clarify things at all?
Anyway, this does a better and more complete job of describing what I mean by world building. The wikipedia article for world building (because apparently new members aren't allowed to post links) does a better job of describing what I mean than I did.
Back to top Go down
piedoom
Admin
piedoom

PostSubject: Re: General Immolation information   General Immolation information I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 3:22 pm

I'm sure the culture will work itself out when we are writing out the story. Also, the plot is basically a satire of the American government.
Back to top Go down
neveda0

neveda0

PostSubject: Re: General Immolation information   General Immolation information I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 4:37 pm

Well, I hope it works out that way for you. In my experience it can, but sometimes a it requires a little extra work.
Cool stuff, thank you for all the answers!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: General Immolation information   General Immolation information I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

General Immolation information
Page 1 of 1