Immolation Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A MLP-inspired Unity game.

HomePortalMeet the Mod TeamLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Official Spam Thread!

Go down 
+5
Neon5torm
anonymous14z
neveda0
piedoom
velicia
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
piedoom
Admin
piedoom

Official Spam Thread! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Official Spam Thread!   Official Spam Thread! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 10:30 pm

Entered Rogues "contest" for people to make him a logo.
Any good? Did in about 10 minutes.
Official Spam Thread! - Page 3 413116_406502402695786_200149393331089_1594405_921426395_o
Back to top Go down
https://immolation.forumotion.com
anonymous14z

anonymous14z

PostSubject: Re: Official Spam Thread!   Official Spam Thread! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 11:03 pm

How did you get that picture to use up only 64-something kilobytes and have it so large?
Back to top Go down
piedoom
Admin
piedoom

PostSubject: Re: Official Spam Thread!   Official Spam Thread! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 11:49 pm

Iunno. Just something photoshop did, I guess. Also it is a pic uploaded to FB, and they have their own compression I think...
Back to top Go down
neveda0

neveda0

PostSubject: Re: Official Spam Thread!   Official Spam Thread! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 11:51 pm

They do something. Also it could be vector rather than raster. Then size doesn't matter at all. Only complexity
Back to top Go down
anonymous14z

anonymous14z

PostSubject: A concern over lack of answers   Official Spam Thread! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 13, 2012 1:23 am

Due to my unanswered questions, I'm beginning to think of myself as a bit of a burden here, true I am in violation of my first informal promise of simple observation, but that sin... Is both logically and practically trivial, but somehow substantial to this deluded one.

Please answer the question involving "levels of stealthyness" to some degree so that I may form a better picture of what this game may be like.

And to answer your probably sarcastic question neveda0. I am not you, I will never be you (excluding highly theoretical scenarios), and the differences between us span across many continuum of appearance, thought, predilection,ect,ect. However I there still exists the possibility that those differences although numerous may in fact be small differences, but I will still be different that you in what can be seen as "generally".

For one, I challenge you neveda0 to create a post that strongly emulates my posting style, specifically the semi-nonsensical ones that I posted before, if you accept, I will copy your post and put it in my notepad folders and I will copy all the semi-nonsensical posts I made and put those in there as well, after a set amount of time has passed, (1 week) I will review the notes, making sure to not memorize anything that you have posted or what I had posted, and if I cannot determine which post was yours or if your post is very much like my own posts, among the notepad files, you can take the title of "being quite like me", and you may be my doppelganger in a sense, I assure you, this test won't require much effort on your part, just patience.

While I find it flattering that my personalty might be worth putting into this game, (at least the personality derived from some of my spam board posts) I seriously don't expect you to put that into the game, I would imagine that it would require too much effort for something that is far too unconventional (but that might be redeeming somehow) and even if it was, I would probably be some notable background NPC, and that would be it.
Back to top Go down
neveda0

neveda0

PostSubject: Re: Official Spam Thread!   Official Spam Thread! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 13, 2012 1:39 am

Don't get yourself down. I piedoom just got off break and hasn't been doing anything, and I've been really really busy with school work. I do not find you a burden. I didn't answer that question because I don't know what piedoom wants to release about it at this point, and he wasn't been active recently. I don't think I've discussed Immolation with him in about a week.
And yes, my comment was intended to be humorous.
If you wish I can attempt to impersonate you, but you seem to be a touch pissed off at the moment and I don't really see what purpose that would serve.

I will get to your questions. I simply have classes to pass, chemistry research to do, a game to be developing, and a group of friends to keep together. I will get to your questions when sh!t isn't hitting the fan.
Back to top Go down
piedoom
Admin
piedoom

PostSubject: Re: Official Spam Thread!   Official Spam Thread! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 13, 2012 1:58 am

new note here- everything in spam board is sarcastic unless said otherwise.
Also, I have a hipster religion, so my Easter is 2 days from now. I've been kinda... lazy. So don't think anything of it. I'm just lazy.

and @ Neveda, it is a raster image, its jpeg lol.
Back to top Go down
neveda0

neveda0

PostSubject: Re: Official Spam Thread!   Official Spam Thread! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 13, 2012 2:03 am

Meh.
I don't think Photoshop uses vector anyway.
There was almost no chance of it being vector. But I do love me some of dat playin' with dem der vectors.
Back to top Go down
piedoom
Admin
piedoom

PostSubject: Re: Official Spam Thread!   Official Spam Thread! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 13, 2012 1:12 pm

Photoshop uses vectors to draw some stuff, but you can't save it to anything like an SVG file.
Back to top Go down
anonymous14z

anonymous14z

PostSubject: I beat Grim fandango   Official Spam Thread! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 14, 2012 6:51 pm

Since there doesn't seem to be any other place for this kind of statement, I'd figure I'm post it in the spam board.

I beat Grim Fandango and I can say, it wasn't a fun game to play, but the only reason why I completed it was to get a sense that I try and beat as many games that I buy, I figure that there is a certain nostalgia to beating such an old game, especially one that you buy from a retro gaming convention (I have the actual disk).
Back to top Go down
piedoom
Admin
piedoom

PostSubject: Re: Official Spam Thread!   Official Spam Thread! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 14, 2012 8:59 pm

Gotta say, never even heard of Grim Fandango. Haven't played many games, I'm somewhat of a deprived child, though I'm sure Neveda has, since he has played basically every game from the beginning of time.
Cool though that you had the actual disk. What system is it for? Guessing PC?
Back to top Go down
neveda0

neveda0

PostSubject: Re: Official Spam Thread!   Official Spam Thread! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 15, 2012 4:27 am

Grim Fandango was great. Not as good as Monkey Island (the first two. The next ones weren't bad, but they just didn't compair). Lucasarts made some classic games. Sam and Max, Grim Fandango, Monkey Island, Beneath a Steel Sky, all great.
Also, why didn't you like Grim Fandango?
Back to top Go down
anonymous14z

anonymous14z

PostSubject: MEGA POST   Official Spam Thread! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 15, 2012 10:38 pm

For the simple answer read the TLDR near the bottom.

The primary reason why I didn't like the game was due to the frequency of wacky semi-sensical puzzles, (especially in year 2), unclear un-intuitive puzzles, and the slowness of progress that those puzzles created,which resulted in me trying just about EVERYTHING I could in order to stumble upon the solution. I was especially inept at the interpersonal puzzles in year 2 which kept me at that state of the game for about 40% of my entire playthrough. of course there Was a bit of common logic that reduced the number of things that I did, but it only takes around 2 1.5 hour long puzzles to ruin a sentiment, and I felt this game had around 10 of those kinds of puzzles.

--By far the worst experiences I've had in the game can be characterized by nonsensical puzzles requiring bewildering solutions (putting balloons in pigeon feed), one-time clues that are critical to success that aren't emphasized enough (The sea-walker didn't explicitly say he wanted stockings or silk), and are demonstrated by these examples (I cheated on some of these)

For example in the part of the game where you use the contained detonation chamber to acquire the key from the cigarette container from nick (the lawyer), one would question that line of thought by saying "wouldn't the contained detonation chamber destroy the key as well?" or "what if there was a person with high dexterity that might be able to dislodge the key?", or "What if you could use the can opener on the container?, you get my idea, but apparently the friggin explosion chamber is what you gotta trick the cop into using on the container, which is especially frustrating if you weren't born into the culture that might make those options notable, especially since I don't remember the chamber being referenced that much in the game.

Another example would be found when you gotta use the ornate ashtray to acquire the stocking from the meche.

While there was a clue from the deep-walking simpleton, I thought his wealth was depleted by his purchase of the jackhammer and he didn't explicitly state that he wanted stockings or the fact that he had a gun, so I was screwed when I didn't take that statement about the stocking seriously, and I began searching for the gun in other ways. Even if I had known that the he wanted stockings, the manipulation of the ashtray didn't make any sense to me. Why would it work if Meche wasn't moving her legs around? The ashtray didn't have that many sharp thorn-like corners to get stocking stuck on, so how could it ruin her stockings? You get my idea.
It is for reasons like this that I felt that I had to try far too many things in order to progress. (since common logic is not that terribly developed)

But these examples are about 2 of 4-10 of the worst puzzles out of them all (the kind that can delay me for 75+ minutes). Getting stuck for hours on end in any situation where you have no idea which buttons to press (and thus trying to press them all), does not make a good game.

Other disliked puzzles were 1. putting the dogtags on the corpse, 2. using the perforated card on the pneumatic tubes, 3. getting the metal detector out of the kitty litter. And several others.

--Most of the puzzles were about average as far as I was concerned, but many of them had that wackiness that made my common logic somewhat impractical, they took about 15 minutes per step, and if the game had all of it's puzzles this easy I might have had enjoyed the game more, but I will not go into detail about the examples, but I will give examples.

1. drinking the gold-flaked beverage to trigger the alarm.
2. locking the waiter in the closet so I could progress the game (I had no idea what my objectives were) (actually somewhat fun)
3. Giving the sea-walker the little hammer for the jackhammer
4. putting a balloon in with the bird feed.
5. putting chemical-filled balloons in the pneumatic message transferer
6. shooting the water container that fed into the greenhouse

--The best puzzles tended to be categorized into 2 categories, 1. the Mechanical-physical puzzles 2. The low complexity puzzles.

--The funner/more endurable puzzles (mechanical-physical) more involved me observing cause-effect relationships and trying to derive practical solutions to a somewhat known objectives.

EX1. The ship anchors, perhaps the 3rd funnest puzzle in the game, (and somewhat wacky, but with sensible solutions), where you had to mingle with the anchors and the placement of the ship, was fun due to the solution being somewhat known (you had to get away from the assassins) but you didn't know the solution exactly. I had to experiment with the ship features, and noting where the anchors were when I moved the ship, eventually I learned that I could tangle up the anchors and use the anchor motors to shred the ship's hull, then you separated the engine room from the rest of the ship.

EX2. The ticket locker lock (the one with the axe), perhaps the best puzzle in the game. In that you had the objective at hand (find out how to arrange the tumblers), you just needed to observe how the tumblers rotated in their assembly, and make it so that you could jam your scythe into the assembly, and then open the door, initially the problem seemed confounding, but discovery of how the tumblers worked gave me a sense of created, predictable, tangible
progress rather than the luck, accidental, and nonsense progress of most of the puzzles.

EX3. Toppling the tree in the petrified forest, Was the 4th best puzzle in the game. While It had more wackiness than the other puzzles, it was manageable. By far the worst part of this puzzle was discovering that the wheelbarrow would block the hoses that were powering the machinery, but once I figured that out, I knew how to destabilize the apparatus on the top of the tree and topple it for car parts.

--The low complexity puzzles were well, just as mindbendingly weird as the other ones but the environment and tools reduced, I cannot say that they were particularly enjoyable to solve but they were easier and more endurable to solve.

EX1. On the octopus-operated sub with domino easily the easiest, and funnest of all the low-complexity puzzles, primarily due to the drama of the situation.

EX2. Making glottis vomit in the boobytrapped (dominoed) car, good because I only had about 4 items and one of them had a reasonable function (bottle ship filled with alcohol) and brute force attempting in on everybody was viable, but it was wacky in that common sense would state that the vomit would topple some of the dominoes and trigger the bomb.

EX3. Spilling coffee on the performers, was easy because the coffee pot in the area was notable and restricted to a small area, which made and weird imaginings I had developed to play the game restricted to that area, which in turn severely reduced the number of options I could use with the item. Which was good.

EX4. using liquid nitrogen on the wound, By far the most dramatic scene, I pressed buttons for about 30 seconds before realizing that that wouldn't work, and realizing I couldn't move, I checked my inventory, and naturally selected the liquid nitrogen. Which solved the puzzle (and left a rather dramatic and enjoyable impression about the game)

--The best parts of the game were when I didn't fully explore the game environment and I didn't have a full understanding of the objectives that I had to complete, I guess these were the parts of the game where I felt I was actually exploring the environment and enjoying the art instead of pressing buttons and looking for wacky solutions to my problems. These occurred anytime I first was thrust into a new area (the beginning of a year) and began to end when I explored the environment and got a bearing on the puzzles that were presented to me, and figuring out the first few puzzles that were easy to solve for me, as well as collecting items.

--But outside of the game, here are some factors that may have ruined my enjoyment of the game.

-I was probably acclimation to more instantly gratifying games like Metro 2033, prototype, F.E.A.R, prey, halo 3
in that one is constantly doing something with puzzles being secondary gameplay features, with these

-The desire to play newly released games due to them being hip and new, and relegating anything else to be something inferior.

TLDR

I didn't enjoy the game as a whole due to the frequency of progress halting puzzles that took 30-60 minutes to solve and the frequency of general puzzles that required 15 minutes to solve, and the general brute force attempting of possibilities so I could stumble upon a solution. (gameplay momentum was terrible)
These took the form of
1. Completely nonsensical puzzles that were not hinted at very well.
2. general puzzles that almost always required experimentation to solve.
3. puzzles that required real-world knowledge to solve (damn you ticket stand!).
4. Feeling that my progress was dictated by the amount of things I did, rather than the use of mental powers or anything I had control over.

I enjoyed the game more (or endured it less) when I
0. Felt that I solved the puzzle by my own wit rather than luck
1. Didn't fully explore the environment and the world felt open and explorable.
2. When I was doing mechanical-physical puzzles and/or low complexity puzzles.
3. stumbling upon solutions to puzzles after I let my subconscious work on the puzzles.

Other factors why I didn't enjoy playing the game were
1. I was into the immediately gratifying on-the-go solution finding nature of FPS games
2. I was into new releases, and disliked old games.

To get a taste of the worst of this game, watch this letsplay https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9A_vEPBGxNw and note how the player spend roughly 15 minutes to exit that damn clubhouse (I probably spent 25-45 minutes due to applebloom never stating that she was aware of the key outside), and imagine a game composed of about 20 instances of that, with some instances taking 60 minutes to solve, which are only solved after you have brute force attempted almost everything! And it's not like there are a lot of environmental areas and details that clue you into what to do, NOO, You looked at everything, and there are no clear clues.

I am not calling the MLP game CMC a dash of adventure a bad game, I'm just saying that it is a good example of what I didn't like about Grim Fandango. But perhaps there exists no way of expressing the aforementioned intention as I wish. (saying CMC a dash of adventure is not a bad game)

Last edited by anonymous14z on Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
anonymous14z

anonymous14z

PostSubject: I new perception on meaning   Official Spam Thread! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 2:14 am

I come to the conclusion recently that there exists a certain purpose to online comments that I didn't realize, which was that online comments no matter the quality (for the most part) can serve a aesthetic function, much like what goes on at YouTube, with tons of insubstantial comments designed to fluff and exaggerate. While I am not terribly disposed to generating and using this content, I find that I may end up using it as a means to my ends, my ends of course, being the health of this forum, which is an extension to see this game made, which is an extension of my morality, which is an extension of my desire to be happy.

I know that my comments here are not that terribly relevant to what this tread is designed to accommodate and thus, could be seen as spam to those more lawful (and those more evil) but considering that this board is called the spam board, I do not believe that there can come any harm to what I type for the most part.

BTW Neveda0 Did I answer your question? Wink
Back to top Go down
neveda0

neveda0

PostSubject: Re: Official Spam Thread!   Official Spam Thread! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 2:44 pm

anonymous14z wrote:

BTW Neveda0 Did I answer your question? Wink

Yes you did. Quite nicely actually. I'm not sure if I agree with you, but I can see where you are coming from, and understand your points.
Also, this is the spam thread. Nothing is off topic here, even totally reasonable posts and conversations. Those are just off topic. And what better spam is there than off topic spam? Thereby there is no off topic (don't think about that one to hard, I sure didn't).

Anyway, I'm sorry for not getting to your earlier questions sooner, I'm going to try to get to them later today. The end of the semester is near, and schools getting pretty hellish, but I should be able to carve out some time.
I'm fairly certain it's like that for most of the dev team, which is why nothing has been happening recently.

As for the aesthetics of inane posts... you have an interesting thought.
I'll just say one thing:
I hate smalltalk with a passion that defies most mortal comprehension.

Edit:

Sorry anon, I'm going to have to postpone me getting to your stuff until early tomorrow morning.
Homework agro, as a quite good friend of mine says, is OP.
Back to top Go down
piedoom
Admin
piedoom

PostSubject: Re: Official Spam Thread!   Official Spam Thread! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 1:27 pm

Back to top Go down
neveda0

neveda0

PostSubject: Re: Official Spam Thread!   Official Spam Thread! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 5:37 pm

AMT loves that band...
We've been playing 'Enormous' over the sound system for far too many moons...
Back to top Go down
piedoom
Admin
piedoom

PostSubject: Re: Official Spam Thread!   Official Spam Thread! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 11:26 pm

This is now the official theme song of Immolation.
Back to top Go down
neveda0

neveda0

PostSubject: Re: Official Spam Thread!   Official Spam Thread! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 1:13 am

DO I SMELL AN EASTER EGG?
I THINK SO!
Lucky for me it's the only thing I smell...
Back to top Go down
anonymous14z

anonymous14z

PostSubject: Re: Official Spam Thread!   Official Spam Thread! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 27, 2012 1:26 am

A most frivolous of posts, but I want to spark some activity here.

I found a pony in the garbage at the laundromat I worked at, it came it a discarded MCdonald's bag, and as one would assume I retrieved it (it was literally still in a unpunctured original bag and quite clean).

The pony apparently is named Lily Blossom, with a blue-gray coat with yellow tail-mane with pink irises with fluttershy shaped eyes.

I guess knowing the inevitability of the trash heap these things are to end up in, one could say I postponed this one's destination to that place, and in a sense it's death.

But plastic is immortal. (it can literally take thousands of years for it to biodegrade)
Back to top Go down
anonymous14z

anonymous14z

PostSubject: Re: Official Spam Thread!   Official Spam Thread! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 2:22 am

Will overtaken by contemptuous ease, appetite for distractions being nearly infinite, impulses unrestrained, time slipping through my fingers, ruinous speculations that invite the self deprecations, my time was better spent in distress!
Some may claim I have all the time in the world, but I know the reality is that I have all the time in my lifetime, further speculations suggest that technologies may bless me with a indefinite lifespan which suggests that the former statement is closer to reality than anticipated, but ultimately the latter statement is ultimately true.

EDIT

WOOT! 100 points!
What do points do?
Back to top Go down
neveda0

neveda0

PostSubject: Re: Official Spam Thread!   Official Spam Thread! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 4:40 am

This is an excellent question. I would also like to know how they are calculated.
Mr. Doom?
Back to top Go down
piedoom
Admin
piedoom

PostSubject: Re: Official Spam Thread!   Official Spam Thread! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 5:23 pm

IT IS A SECRET.
Back to top Go down
anonymous14z

anonymous14z

PostSubject: Re: Official Spam Thread!   Official Spam Thread! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2012 2:02 am

I have uncovered an obscure MLP related post on a obscure forum. I found some of the conclusions humorous.
Here is a link

http://sargerasbronies.freesmfhosting.com/index.php/topic,34.0.html (It's a little clopish so BEWARE)

I hope that those who view are amused.

Last edited by anonymous14z on Fri May 11, 2012 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
neveda0

neveda0

PostSubject: Re: Official Spam Thread!   Official Spam Thread! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 3:35 am

TOMORROW I AM FREE!

All the stress of finals. and end of the year shenanigans will be over tomorrow. Now I just have to worry about being homeless for a weekend for the second time this year and doing chemistry research (which is ridiculously entertaining) half time for the next six weeks, and everything else is free time!
I never thought I'd value my free time so much...
I'll have time to work on Immolation!
I'll have time to lean on AMT and Thunderseethe to work on Immolation!
I'll have time to play some of dem vidjema games!
I'll have time to respond to anons posts!

Time to get this project back on it's rails!
Ready for this kids? I'm not leaving until we have an amazing product, so lets get things back in the works!
As they say back home:
Let's roll.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Official Spam Thread!   Official Spam Thread! - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Official Spam Thread!
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next